I reduced the amount of sugar and oil in Grandma’s recipe and still found the loaf to be sweet and moist. I added nutmeg and a pepita topping to take this loaf to the next level of delicious.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups canola or olive oil
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten (or approx 1/3 cup of applesauce)
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 cups pumpkin puree (basically a full large can of store bought)
Pepita topping (optional)
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1-2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
Yield: 2 large loaves
Preheat oven to 350o.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar and oil. Add eggs. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the sugar, oil and egg mixture. Mix in the pumpkin last.
If using the pepita topping, mix the honey/maple syrup and oil first then stir in the pepitas to coat.
Pour batter into greased loaf pans. Sprinkle a generous amount of the pepita topping on top of the batter and then bake for 75 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.